This article offers on what to not feed pet bird you, being a bird owner, should never feed to your pet bird. If you have questions concerning a particular type of birdseed or fruit, consult your veterinarian. Buy bird seeds from reputable producers like ABBA or Kaytee and read the native diet of the bird species and give a diet that includes bird seeds, fruits, and vegetables that are very similar to the natural food source of that bird species. Before you buy a bird as a pet, read and gather information about certain things to do and not to do. There are many species of birds that, with proper care, will become companions and family members throughout their lives. All responsible bird owners should be aware that there are foods and specific ingredients that should never be fed to a pet bird. Here is a list of don’t feed your pet bird these foods or caution must be taken in the preparation of the food:
List of Food Items that Should Never be Fed to a Bird
1. Although fruits are undoubtedly beneficial to birds, there are types that should by no means be given to birds. These foods to avoid feeding birds include apples, apricots, cherries, peaches, and pears. The reason is quite impressive. These fruits contain tiny amounts of cyanide in their seeds, which is incredibly dangerous and possibly fatal in trace amounts. Birds can eat these types of fruits as long as they are cut from the seed or seed. Also, always clean the fruit before giving it to your pet, child, or yourself. Harmful chemicals in pesticides are often harmful to small animals such as birds. Avocado is a fruit that should never be given to a pet bird. Avocado skin can cause heart problems and heart failure in some bird species. Better safe than sorry avocados, so don’t even bother letting them try it.
Don’t Miss: >Tips for Picking Pet Name
2. Unfortunately, chocolate is not for birds. This wonderful candy is a kind of food that is poisonous to birds. Chocolate is incredibly harmful to the digestive system of birds. Initially, chocolate causes vomiting and diarrhea. It can then affect the central nervous system, causing seizures and eventually death. Chocolate and foods containing chocolate should stay away from your feathered friend.
3. Certain types of vegetables are often harmful. Onions can cause acute digestive problems and fungi, which are not actually vegetables, but a fungus can lead to difficulty breathing, kidney failure, and death. While some veterinarians and pet owners are concerned about giving pets a variety of vegetables, such as potatoes and tomatoes, these vegetables are not dangerous if they are cleaned and sliced before being offered to their pets. Remember to contact your veterinarian if you have any concerns about any food source, including fruits, vegetables, and bird seeds.
Read more: >useful tips in choosing a name for your pet
4. Salt or products containing salt should never be given to birds because these toxic types of food your birds should never eat. Like in humans, excess salt often leads to dehydration, kidney dysfunction, thirst, and death. Due to their small size, it does not require a great deal of salt to have negative effects.
5. Even if you like to have a few, never ask your pet bird if he or she wishes to join you for a drink. Alcohol depresses a bird’s organs which, in some cases, is fatal. Caffeine is incredibly harmful to birds also. It causes cardiac malfunction in birds and, in some cases, can cause arrhythmia, cardiac arrest, hyperactivity, and increased heartbeat. Keep alcoholic and caffeinated beverages in a well-accessible place and in a place where the bird can access them. In addition to water, natural fruit, or vegetable juice is good. You can provide additional food according to the needs of the bird.
6. Finally, never offer your pet bird dry or raw beans. Dry or uncooked beans contain a poison called hemagglutinin. Hemagglutinin is no longer a concern after the beans are cooked so if you desire to offer beans to your bird, cook them first.
Don’t Miss: >Tips for Picking Pet Name
These are foods you need to avoid feeding your pet bird. Knowing and avoiding these and other damaging food items will help ensure they will live for a long time. Pet birds can be very expensive. Don’t take a chance with your bird’s health by feeding it food that can be dangerous. Provide a good quality seed and pellet diet to play it safe, and supplement with approved fruits and vegetables if desired. This way you will keep your pet bird healthy and happy.